Merriam-Webster might consider editing its cozy entry to include a photo of this dessert cafe, where the character of a creaky old house is infused with charming details in the food, art and furnishings. The joe in Cuppies & Joe isnt a watered-down afterthought: The brew gets its depth from quality beans courtesy Elemental Coffee Roasters in Midtown.
2. Red Cup, 3122 N. Classen Blvd. 3. Coffee Slingers, 1015 N. Broadway Worth mentioning: Elemental Coffee; t, an urban tea house
Best local winery or brewery COOP ALE WORKS 1124 N.W. 51st
Since 2008, this local brewhouse sweetheart has converted wheat, hops and barley into frosty beverages for the metro and beyond. Favorites include Native Amber, Zeppelin German Wheat, F5 IPA and the aptly named, high-point Belgian-style DNR (for do not resuscitate). Keep your eye out for the seasonal brew.
2. Bricktown Brewery, 1 N. Oklahoma 3. Belle Isle Brewery, 1900 Northwest Expressway Worth mentioning: Mustang Brewery, Urban Wineworks, Redbud Brewery
Best food truck BIG TRUCK TACOS mobile
With a physical restaurant on N.W. 23rd Street, the mobile version serves up a smaller menu of the same great tacos you crave on the regular. The Rancher has slow-braised brisket, or try the veggie burrito, which is packed with spinach, black beans and scallion rice.
2. Bobos Chicken, mobile 3. Waffle Champion, mobile Worth mentioning: Roxys Ice Cream Social, Wok Stop
Best breakfast JIMMYS EGG several metro locations
Whether youre hankering to start the day with two eggs and a slice of ham or an omelet loaded with everything from asparagus to sausage, Jimmys Egg is certain to hit the spot. For 30 years, this most egg-cellent (see what we did there?) breakfast eatery has been keeping the coffee hot and the bacon sizzling.
2. Classen Grill, 5124 N. Classen Blvd. 3. Beverlys Pancake House, 3315 Northwest Expressway Worth mentioning: Cafe Antigua, Cafe Kacao
Best brunch CHEEVER'S CAFE 2409 N. Hudson
Are you serious about brunching? Olympic gold-medal serious? If you are, and youve not been to Cheevers, then you should probably get a new trainer. This Best of OKC veteran has nabbed 2012s title for best service and the elusive best restaurant. Its not really a surprise that this renovated wonder also has the market cornered for mimosas and migas.
2. Ingrids Kitchen, 3701 N. Youngs 3. La Baguette Bistro, 7408 N. May Worth mentioning: Cafe 501, Rococo
Best lunch BIG TRUCK TACOS 530 N.W. 23rd
For lunch, connoisseurs of deliciousness need look no further than Big Truck Tacos, boasting such offbeat tacos as the Flaming Lips (hickory-smoked tongue with pico de gallo, avocado and queso fresco) and the 5th Amendment (who knows what itll be from day to day?) to wonderful burritos and ceviche. Damn, we got ourselves hungry just writing about it.
2. Saturn Grill, 6432 Avondale Drive; 4401 W. Memorial 3. Tuckers Onion Burgers, 324 N.W. 23rd Worth Mentioning: City Bites, Taco Mayo
Best hamburgers S&BS BURGER JOINT 5929 N. May; 20 N.W. Ninth
Fat, messy and irresistible thats how wed describe the burgers of Gazette readers No. 1 pick for satisfying that inner Wimpy. S&Bs has quickly earned its reputation as a hamburger haven with an array of unique, mouth-watering offerings. Hey, when you can order a burger smothered in peanut butter (the Elvis, incidentally), youre on to something special.
2. Irmas Burger Shack, 1035 N.W. 63rd and 1120 Classen Drive 3. Johnnies Charcoal Broiler, several metro locations Worth mentioning: Tuckers Onion Burgers, Nics Grill
Best sandwiches CITY BITES several metro locations
Gazette readers say City Bites offers up the tastiest sandwiches. Whether youre craving smoky-sweet mesquite chicken or light veggie fillings, City Bites has what you desire. The menu is also stocked with a nice variety of soups, salads and wraps. Most remarkable, perhaps, is that City Bites has found a way to put broccoli in a sandwich and it tastes great.
2. Someplace Else, 2310 N. Western 3. Prairie Thunder, 1114 Classen Drive Worth mentioning: Neptune Submarine Sandwiches, ND Foods
Best barbecue restaurant EARLS RIB PALACE
The finger-lickin fare of Earls Rib Palace is again tops with Gazette readers, and thats saying something in a city and state not exactly hurting for good barbecue. And if youre not in the mood for barbecue, other Earls favorites include grilled chicken, juicy burgers and baked beans.
2. Iron Starr Urban Barbeque, 3700 N. Shartel 3. Vans Pig Stand, several metro locations Worth mentioning: Swadleys Bar-B-Q, Rays Smokehouse
Best pizza place HIDEAWAY PIZZA several metro locations
Who else? With only one exception, Gazette readers have selected Hideaway Pizza as best pizza every year the category was included on the ballot since 1999. The original Hideaway was founded in 1957 in Stillwater with a philosophy of making both employees and customers happy, and of course, making great pizza pie. OKC evidently thinks thats a pretty sound philosophy.
2. The Wedge, 4709 N. Western; 230 N.E. First 3. Sauced on Paseo, 2912 Paseo Worth mentioning: Sandros, Upper Crust, Joeys Pizzeria
Best steakhouse CATTLEMENS STEAKHOUSE 1309 S. Agnew
Smack-dab in historic Stockyards City, Cattlemens Steakhouse isnt so much a restaurant as an Oklahoma City institution. The restaurants origins won in a dice game in 1945 are the stuff of legend, but its thick, juicy steaks are the stuff of dreams, provided your dreams are carnivorous. And the meat is just part of the allure, since Cattlemens is also renowned for its catfish, salads and yep, lamb fries. Trust us on this.
2. Red PrimeSteak, 504 N. Broadway 3. The Ranch Steakhouse, 3000 W. Britton Worth mentioning: Mahogany, The Mantle
Best sushi SUSHI NEKO 4318 N. Western
Sushi Neko is no stranger to the Best of OKC list. In fact, this delightful Asian bistro has topped the charts since 2000, dominating the category since 2008. And no wonder. The terrific service and heavenly rolls have ensured a loyal following. Dont leave without trying the Lady Love roll or the hearty Red Canyon. Wash it down with some sake or an Asahi.
2. In the Raw, several metro locations 3. Tokyo Japanese Restaurant, 7516 N. Western Worth mentioning: Pachinko Parlor, Saii Asian Bistro
Best vegetarian or healthy menu options COOLGREENS several metro locations
The metro has been receptive to this winning concept, which has flourished over the last couple of years. Coolgreens inventive salads, wraps and pizzas are a painless and delicious way of getting your daily-recommended allowance of fruits and vegetables. Even the veggie-averse can find sustenance with options including turkey, ham, chicken and seafood.
2. Picasso Cafe, 3009 Paseo 3. The Earth Natural Foods and Deli, 746 Asp, Norman Worth mentioning: The Red Cup, Matthew Kenney OKC
Best patio dining THE MONT 1300 Classen, Norman
Its hard to think about being on a patio right now. But, eventually these horrific temps will give way to breezes that dont feel like an oven, and the patio retreat at The Mont is a favorite for University of Oklahoma students and faithful patrons alike. Grab a frozen beverage to help coax those temps down.
2. Louies Grill & Bar, several metro locations 3. The Wedge, 4709 N. Western and 230 N.E. First Worth mentioning: Flips Wine Bar and Trattoria, Republic Gastropub
Best liquor store
BYRON'S LIQUOR WAREHOUSE
2322 N. Broadway
Warehouse, it is: The shop has a remarkable selection of bottles and cans awaiting your imbibing needs, and plenty of registers to get you in and out in a flash. Open since 1959, Byrons appeals to customers of today by posting its weekly specials on Facebook. 2. Broadway Wine Merchants, 824 N. Broadway 3. Panchos Liquortown, 6801 N. Meridian Worth mentioning: Sams Warehouse Liquor, Grand Cru Wine and Spirits
Best seafood restaurant PEARL'S RESTAURANT several metro locations
While there are no nearby seas in this landlocked state we call home, that doesnt mean we have to forgo good seafood. Pearls makes sure of it! Whether youre dining on the patio of Pearls Oyster Bar near Nichols Hills or farther south at Pearls Fish House, you can always rely on quality oysters, fresh fish and delicious Cajun specialties.
2. The Shack Seafood & Oyster Bar, 303 N.W. 62nd 3. Deep Fork Grill, 5418 N. Western Worth mentioning: Rococo Restaurant & Fine Wine, Hefner Grill
Best dessert menu LA BAGUETTE BAKERY & CAFE several metro locations
La Baguette Bakery & Cafes name doesnt quite do it justice then again, La Baguette Cheesecake Éclair Pastry Awesome Sugary Goodness Bistro & Bakery probably wouldnt fit on a sign. Pair a slice of cheesecake or chocolate mousse with a cappuccino for dessert divinity. La Baguette also makes wedding cakes ones that youll actually look forward to pulling out of the freezer on your first anniversary.
2. Ingrids Kitchen, 3701 N. Youngs 3. Cuppies and Joe, 727 N.W. 23rd Worth mentioning: Cheevers Cafe, Nonnas Euro-American Ristorante & Bar
Best Mexican restaurant IGUANA MEXICAN GRILL 9 N.W. Ninth
Spice it up with what Gazette readers deem the metros best Mexican restaurant. From salsa that will make you want to turn cartwheels (resist the urge weve learned that the hard way) to its family-style dining options, Iguana Grill brings its own flair to Mexican fare. While youre at it, dont forget to ask for a ride on the Black Pearl Iguana Bus!
2. Teds Cafe Escondido, several metro locations 3. Tarahumaras Mexican Cafe, 702 N. Porter, Norman Worth mentioning: Chelinos Mexican Restaurant, San Marcos Mexican Restaurant
Best Latin restaurant CAFE DO BRASIL 440 N.W. 11th
Situated in Midtown, this restaurant frequently beckons you by way of rooftop music, which spills over the two-story building. Eat in the main dining area, and most days, a live pianist will provide entertainment. Youll find authentic dishes that are gluten-free and vegetarian. After dinner, head up to the bar and roof patio to enjoy some traditional Latin cocktails.
2. 1492 New World Latin Cuisine, 1207 N. Walker 3. Zarates Latin Mexican Grill, 706 S. Broadway, Edmond Worth mentioning: Cafe Antigua, Cafe Kacao
Best Italian restaurant BELLINI'S RISTORANTE 6305 Waterford Blvd.
When Gazette readers want a Roman holiday without the jet lag, they head to Bellinis Ristorante. Open since 1990, this warm and cozy gem offers authentic Italian dishes, traditional American dishes and nouveau cuisine. Its namesake the famous cocktail created in Italy in 1948 is just one of many imbibing options. And dont miss the romantic patio!
2. Stella Modern Italian Cuisine, 1201 N. Walker 3. Victorias Pasta Shop, 327 White St., Norman Worth mentioning: Papa Dios Restaurant and Wine Bar, Vitos Ristorante
Best European restaurant, not Italian LA BAGUETTE BISTRO 7408 N. May
Stepping into La Baguette feels much like youve just wandered in off the streets of Paris, only the people arent rude. Known for its magnificent deli meats and desserts, this French bistro might just be the touch of decadence youre looking for in the metro. Dont leave without trying the almond and pear tart.
2. Ingrids Kitchen, 3701 N. Youngs 3. Nonnas Euro-American Ristorante and Bar, 1 S. Mickey Mantle Drive Worth mentioning: Old Germany, Royal Bavaria
Best Mediterranean restaurant ZORBA'S MEDITERRANEAN CUISINE & BAR 6014 N. May
This marks the fourth consecutive win for Zorbas, and its easy to understand why with its hummus, gyros and grilled skewers. Everything is packed with authentic flavors, and the service is always exceptional. On the weekends, enjoy watching traditional belly and Flamenco dancers while you eat.
2. Mediterranean Imports & Deli, 5620 N. May 3. Nunus Mediterranean Cafe, 3131 W. Memorial Worth mentioning: Couscous Cafe, Camilyas Mediterranean Cafe
Best Indian restaurant GOPURAM TASTE OF INDIA 4559 N.W. 23rd
With its great service and seemingly unending buffet options, its no surprise this is the third time Gopuram has topped this category. Open since 1994, the restaurant prides itself on serving up authentic, ethnic eats. Try the buffet to get a nice sample of Northern and Southern cuisine.
2. Taj Cuisine of India, 1500 N.W. 23rd 3. Misal of India, 580 Ed Noble Parkway, Norman Worth mentioning: Khazana Indian Grill and Buffet, Ajanta Cuisine of India
Best Japanese restaurant MUSASHI'S JAPANESE STEAKHOUSE 4315 N. Western
Even as you watch the chef prepare your fried rice on the hibachi, youll still wonder what they put in it to make it taste so delicious. Whether youre in for the hibachi grill fun or ordering sushi, youre sure to enjoy the stellar service and patio dining.
2. Sushi Neko, 4318 N. Western 3. Shogun Steakhouse of Japan, 11900 N. May Worth mentioning: Tokyo Japanese Restaurant, Saii Asian Bistro, Shiki Japanese Restaurant, Yamato Japanese Steakhouse
Best Chinese restaurant GRAND HOUSE 2701 N. Classen Blvd.
Both elegant and casual at once, the Grand House boasts delectable Cantonese-style cooking that does magnificent things with meats and veggies. On weekends, enjoy the traditional dim sum, when carts loaded with plates of single portions visit tables throughout the meal.
2. Golden Palace, 1500 S. Meridian 3. Dot Wo, 10600 S. Penn and 3101 N. Portland Worth mentioning: Lido, China House
Best Thai restaurant SWEET BASIL 211 W. Main, Norman
Tucked away in lovable Norman lives the best little Thai house in the metro. Well, according to Gazette readers it does. From traditional decor to traditional dishes, this restaurant has those exotic flavors youve been craving. Try the po-pia tod (Thai spring rolls) or its pra ram, chicken or tofu sauteed in garlic with its homemade peanut-curry sauce.
2. Thai House, 500 N.W. 23rd 3. Sala Thai, 1614 N.W. 23rd Worth mentioning: Thai Kitchen, Thai Palace
Best Vietnamese restaurant LIDO RESTAURANT 2518 N. Military
Get there early so youll have time to review the extensive menu. If youre in the mood to try a sampling, make sure to check out the dinner special. Youll get started with soup and some fresh-made egg rolls, then youll have your choice of one of the most popular entrees. Trust us: At Lido, youll leave full, happy and with leftovers.
2. Pho Lien Hoa, 901 N.W. 23rd 3. PhoNomenal, 7504 N. May Worth mentioning: Pho Cuong, Coriander Cafe
Best restaurant outside the metro EISCHENS BAR 109 N. Second, Okarche
Although its a bit off the beaten path, patrons of Eischens Bar in Okarche will tell you its worth the gas money. The menu is simple, but Eischens stands by the principle that its better to do a few things and do them really well. The fried whole chicken is the most highly raved-about item, but the roast beef sandwiches and okra have garnered many fans as well. Be prepared to have cash on hand: Oklahomas oldest bar doesnt accept those newfangled credit cards.
2. Meers Store & Restaurant, 26005 Oklahoma 115, Lawton 3. Petes Place, 120 S.W. Eighth, Krebs Worth mentioning: Starks Fine Dining, Pauls Valley; Kens Steaks and Ribs, Amber
Best restaurant in Edmond BOULEVARD STEAKHOUSE 505 S. Boulevard
Being journalists, its not often we get to eat at Boulevard Steakhouse, but when we do, we masticate that USDA Prime beef like itll be our last. Pair that with fingerling potatoes, a slice of chocolate mousse cake, a glass of Merlot OK, fine, three glasses, but the first was only up to here and it almost makes us want to move to Edmond just to be near the smell.
2. Cafe 501, 501 S. Boulevard 3. Teds Cafe Escondido, 801 E. Danforth Worth mentioning: Lottinvilles, Signature Grill
Best restaurant in Norman THE MONT 1300 Classen Blvd., Norman
The Mont has been a hub for Normanites since 1976, a place where people gather for great meals or drinks on the open patio. You can find everything from burgers to soups and salads, to specialty dishes with a Mexican flair. And the ambience and atmosphere are almost as big a draw as the food.
2. Tarahumaras Mexican Cafe & Cantina, 702 N. Porter, Norman 3. Legends Restaurant, 1313 W. Lindsey St.,Norman Worth mentioning: Local, Benvenutis Restaurant
Best restaurant on the northside REDROCK CANYON GRILL 9221 Lake Hefner Parkway
Nabbing the Best of OKC title for the second year in a row, this lakeside oasis has just about everything a person could want: lake views, outdoor dining, outdoor bar and most important excellent food. Although a fire ravaged it recently, Redrock is set to re-open within the year.
2. Republic Gastropub, 5830 N. Classen Blvd. 3. Rococo Restaurant & Fine Wine, 2824 N. Penn; 12252 N. May Worth mentioning: Mahogany Prime Steakhouse, The Ranch Steakhouse
Best restaurant on the southside CATTLEMEN'S STEAKHOUSE 1309 S. Agnew Ave.
Wheres the beef? Well, pardner, its at Cattlemens Steakhouse. Since 2009, Gazette readers have voted the Stockyards City fixture as the best eatery on the southside. In its 102-year history, Cattlemens has hosted everyone from then-President George H.W. Bush to basketball great Charles Barkley. Thats a pretty wide spectrum of steak-lovers.
2. Teds Cafe Escondido, 8324 S. Western 3. Charlestons, several metro locations Worth mentioning: Chelinos Mexican Restaurant, The Stuffed Olive, Hibachi Supreme Buffet, Hollies Flatiron Steakhouse, Two Olives Cafe
Best restaurant downtown IGUANA MEXICAN GRILL 9 N.W. Ninth
Iguana has nabbed the Best of OKC downtown category for the past three years, so you know its doing something right. If you havent been in for the curried vegetable taco on a Taco Tuesday, you should immediately rearrange your upcoming Tuesday and do so. While youre there, try at least five other kinds of tacos. And dont forget that addictive salsa, or the equally enticing frozen swirl margaritas!
2. The Mantel, 201 E. Sheridan 3. Red PrimeSteak, 504 N. Broadway Worth mentioning: Nonnas Euro-American Ristorante & Bar, Flint
Best new restaurant to open since 6/1/11 S&Bs BURGER JOINT 20 N.W. Ninth St.
Get the fried spicy cheese cubes. Oh, for the love of dairy and fried wonder get the cheese cubes. This happening joint is usually busy from brunch until close. Try one of its many inventive burger combos in slider or full-size, and wash it all down with the Tiger Blood, a Bloody Mary to end all Bloody Marys.
2. Tuckers Onion Burgers, 324 N.W. 23rd 3. Local, 2262 W. Main, Norman Worth mentioning: Hollies Flatiron Steakhouse, Flint
Best service in a restaurant CHEEVER'S CAFE 2409 N. Hudson
While having great food is imperative, a restaurant is definitely a team effort. The service in a restaurant, regardless of taste or quality, can determine if someone makes a return visit. No matter how busy Cheevers gets, you can expect the first-rate dishes of this upscale eatery delivered to your table in a timely manner all with a smile.
2. Charlestons, several metro locations 3. Tarahumaras Mexican Cafe and Cantina, 702 N. Porter, Norman Worth mentioning: Deep Deuce Grill, Vitos Ristorante
Best restaurant ambience PASEO GRILL 2909 Paseo
Tucked away in the heat of the citys arts district, the Paseo Grill is as unique and seductive as its historic neighborhood. Gazette readers certainly appreciate its luxuriant, romantic ambience: darkly lit and filled with private booths, curtains and a nice, quirky touch reading glasses on all the tables. It also offers one of the best patios in town.
2. Redrock Canyon Grill, 9221 Lake Hefner Parkway 3. Rococo Restaurant & Fine Wine, 2824 N. Penn; 12252 N. May Worth mentioning: Red PrimeSteak, West
Restaurant more people should know about PASEO GRILL 2909 Paseo
Well, the Paseo Grill cant be that much of a secret since Gazette readers give it top marks for ambience, but restaurant owners Joe Jungmann and Lesley Rawlinson probably wouldnt mind more people knowing about this sophisticated gem. From an out-of-this-world chicken pot pie to a host of wonderful steaks, seafood and chicken, Paseo Grill has earned a loyal following since its opening in 2006.
2. S&Bs Burger Joint, 5929 N. May; 20 N.W. Ninth 3. Local, 2262 W. Main St., Norman Worth mentioning: Ludivine, Flint
Best restaurant CHEEVER'S CAFE 2409 N. Hudson
The upscale contemporary cuisine will win you over by way of fried chicken and waffles for brunch and apricot-glazed tenderloin for dinner. The historic building once housed a floral shop; its remnants are a refrigerated floral case in the middle of the place. That case is multipurpose now and serves as a sort of trademark, as well as a refrigerator for the wines, beers and desserts. Go ahead: Have your cake and eat it, too!
2. Rococo Restaurant & Fine Wine, 2824 N. Penn; 12252 N. May 3. Red PrimeSteak, 504 N. Broadway Worth mentioning: The Ranch Steakhouse, Local, Ludivine
Best neighborhood bar JAMES E. MCNELLIES PUBLIC HOUSE 1100 N. Classen Drive
Gazette readers know when it comes to grabbing a cold brew with friends, James E. McNellies Pub is the place to get your drink on. If a nice, tall glass of Guinness isnt your thing, the pub has an exhaustive list of beers from all over the world, not to mention food to sate the late-night munchies.
2. VZDs Restaurant & Club, 4200 N. Western 3. Cock O the Walk, 3705 N. Western Worth mentioning: Saints, Lumpys, Cross Eyed Moose
Best upscale bar REPUBLIC GASTROPUB 5830 N. Classen Blvd.
A sleek decor, killer patio and extensive beer list are among the reasons Republic is aces with Gazette readers this year. When you add in the gourmet pub cuisine and banks of TVs for sporting events, its clear that this Classen Curve hot spot is hot for a reason.
2. Red Piano Lounge, 1 Park Ave. 3. Nonnas Purple Bar, 1 S. Mickey Mantle Worth mentioning: Skky Bar, Ludivine
Best new bar to open since 6/1/11 SAINTS 1715 N.W. 16th
Look for the red brick building in the Plaza District! Sidle into one of the cozy spaces and get ready for a treat. The menu is done quite traditionally, but with a healthy twist, and the cocktails well, lets just say you get what you pay for. Even if youre not Irish, youll feel lucky here.
2. Dollhouse Lounge & Burlesque, 210 E. Sheridan 3. Whiskey Chicks Parlor, 115 E. Reno Worth mentioning: Lumpys Sports Bar and Grill, Flint