Best coffee or tea house CUPPIES & JOE 727 N.W. 23rd
More cozy living room than coffee shop, Cuppies & Joe scores with Gazette readers for combining two of the most irresistible things we know: cupcakes and coffee (as if the name of the place wasnt clear). As delicious as the sweets are, Cuppies & Joe takes just as much care with the hot stuff, featuring the gourmet coffee of OKCs Elemental Coffee Roasters.
2. The Red Cup, 3122 N. Classen Blvd. 3. Coffee Slingers, 1015 N. Broadway Worth mentioning: Elemental Coffee Roasters; t, an urban teahouse
Best local winery or brewery COOP ALE WORKS 1124 N.W. 51st
If loving the Gran Sport Port an aromatic and chocolaty porter with dark, malty goodness is wrong, a DNR (a Belgian-style golden ale) will make it right. Best of OKC winner since 2008, the complex flavors of Coop Ale Works are here to stay. From Horny Toad, a craft with slight hop and bitterness, to Native Amber, a balanced hops and malt, every palate is sure to get the quenching it longs for.
2. Bricktown Brewery, 1 N. Oklahoma 3. Belle Isle Brewery, 1900 Northwest Expressway Worth mentioning: Mustang Brewing Co., Urban Wineworks
Best food truck BIG TRUCK TACOS Mobile; 530 N.W. 23rd
Where theres a Big Truck Tacos truck, theres sure to be a long line of people awaiting the goodness it serves up. Carnivores and vegans alike can rejoice for this sweetheart of a truck that has blazed a trail for other mobile food pop-ups in the metro. Try The Rancher if meat is your thing. Opt for The Zig for a vegetarian delight. OMG! Dont forget the sauce.
2. Bobos Chicken, mobile 3. Waffle Champion, 1212 N. Walker Worth mentioning: Franks Wurst, Moto Chef
Best breakfast JIMMYS EGG Several metro locations
Jimmys Egg sports 14 locations in the metro, with tasty and affordable breakfast selections ranging from traditional eggs, sausage and hash browns to the lighter side with oatmeal and sweet potato pancakes. Its little wonder that Gazette readers have selected Jimmys as the best breakfast for get this the past 15 years.
2. Beverlys Pancake House, 3315 Northwest Expressway 3. Classen Grill, 5124 N. Classen Blvd. Worth mentioning: Cafe Kacao, Kitchen No. 324
Brunch is serious business. And Ingrids Kitchen gets that, which is why it offers the best of all worlds. Ingrids presents an impressive array of European and American pastries, traditional German sandwiches and a soft spot for polka bands and dancing. Its a sweet little multicultural oasis under one roof. Oh, it has booze, too.
2. Picasso Cafe, 3009 Paseo 3. Kitchen No. 324, 324 N. Robinson Worth Mentioning: Cafe501, Jimmys Egg, Rococo Restaurant & Fine Wine
Best quick lunch spot SATURN GRILL Several metro locations
Whether its sandwiches, pizza, salads, soups or pastas, Saturn Grill is the place to get lunch when youre on the go (personally, were gaga for the chicken salad and blackened wild salmon sandwich). Oh, and fine wines and beers are available to wash down the bistro-quality food.
2. Hideaway Pizza, several metro locations 3. Someplace Else, A Deli & Bakery, 2310 N. Western Worth mentioning: Café 7, City Bites
Best hamburgers S&BS BURGER JOINT Several metro locations
Oklahomans know their burgers and buns, so its pretty meaningful when they deem your burgers to be tops in the metro. S&Bs Burger Joint has won over Gazette readers with such enticing masterpieces as The Fatty, The Elvis and The Hot Lips Houlihan.
2. Tuckers Onion Burgers, 324 N.W. 23rd; 5740 N. Classen Blvd., Suite 3 3. Johnnies Charcoal Broiler, several metro locations Worth mentioning: The Garage Burgers & Beer, Patty Wagon Burgers
Best sandwich shop THE MULE 1630 N. Blackwelder
A newbie to our Best of OKC, The Mule boasts a dazzling variety of breads, cheeses, meats and flavor creations. Nothing on the menu exceeds $10, not even the Macaroni Pony, made with jalapeño cornbread and chipotle barbecue pulled pork accompanied by three-cheese macaroni and cheese and a pickle.
2. City Bites, several metro locations 3. Someplace Else, A Deli and Bakery, 2310 N. Western Worth mentioning: N D Foods, Neptune Submarine Sandwiches
Best barbecue restaurant EARL'S RIB PALACE Several metro locations
Established in 1996, Earls Rib Palace is Gazette readers top place to chow down on some old-fashioned, mouthwaterin, tongue-slappin barbecue. Whether fact or fiction, the story of Earlywine Earl Jackson contends that he traveled with and cooked his many barbecue recipes for the King himself, Elvis Presley. No wonder Earls customers are treated like royalty.
2. Iron Starr Urban Barbeque, 3700 N. Shartel 3. Swadleys Bar-B-Q, several metro locations Worth mentioning: Bedlam Bar-B-Q, Blus Bar-B-Q & Burgers
Best pizza place HIDEAWAY PIZZA Several metro locations
Hideaway Pizza is about as Oklahoman as red dirt or college football. The culinary staple has been slicing and dicing since 1957 the second pizzeria in all of Oklahoma, in fact expanding from a tiny Stillwater joint into a pizza powerhouse with five metro locations. Theres a reason this local chain has staying power.
2. The Wedge Pizzeria, 4709 N. Western; 230 N.E. First 3. Upper Crust Wood Fired Pizza, 5860 N. Classen; 1205 N.W. 178th, Edmond Worth Mentioning: Joeys Pizzeria, Pizza 23
Best steakhouse CATTLEMEN'S STEAKHOUSE 1309 S. Agnew
Presidents and royalty have dined at the legendary Cattlemens Steakhouse, including George H.W. Bush, Charles Barkley, Reba McEntire, Toby Keith, John Wayne and Gene Autry. Filled with a colorful past and dedicated to great food, Cattlemens is certain to be feeding Oklahomans for generations to come. Try the lamb fries; just dont think about it.
2. Red PrimeSteak, 504 N. Broadway 3. Ranch Steakhouse, 3000 W. Britton Rd. Worth mentioning: Boulevard Steakhouse, Mahogany Prime Steakhouse
Best sushi SUSHI NEKO 4318 N. Western
Still holding strong with Best of OKC bragging rights, Sushi Neko has been the reigning king of sashimi since 2008, and in the top three since 2000. The restaurant boasts a menu full of traditional and contemporary styles of sushi, as well as a sake and beer menu that pairs nicely with all meals. Put the Red Canyon roll on your list of OKC must-haves.
2. Tokyo Japanese Restaurant, 7516 N. Western 3. GoGo Sushi, 432 N.W. 10th; 1611 S. Interstate 35, Moore Worth mentioning: Cafe Icon Sushi & Grill, In the Raw, The Sushi Bar
Best vegetarian, gluten-free or healthy menu options COOLGREENS Several metro locations
For vegetarians who refuse banishment to the salad bar, Coolgreens has your back. This healthy-chain establishment lets you customize just about everything on the menu, from vegetable pizza to frozen yogurt and, of course, colorful salads. Its the upscale answer to Subway, complete with real silverware and a selection of alcoholic beverages, which are definitely vegetarian.
2. Hideaway Pizza, several metro locations 3. Saturn Grill, several metro locations Worth mentioning: The Earth Natural Café & Deli, Picasso Cafe, The Red Cup
Best patio dining THE MONT 1300 Classen Blvd., Norman
When people say patio weather, what they really mean is The Mont patio weather. This Norman favorite, after all, is practically synonymous with outdoor dining. When the sun is shining and the temperature is cooperating, few area establishments can compete with the al fresco vibe of The Mont.
2. Redrock Canyon Grill, 9221 Lake Hefner Parkway 3. Louies Grill & Bar, several metro locations Worth mentioning: Picasso Cafe, The Wedge Pizzeria
Best liquor store BYRON'S LIQUOR WAREHOUSE 2322 N. Broadway
Lets be real: Byrons is a godsend. Conveniently located and exceptionally priced, with a selection of booze thats plain intoxicating (figuratively and literally), the Warehouse can quench the thirst of everyone from cheap drinkers to refined aficionados. The complex is over 10,000 square feet and features more than 6,000 wines and 1,500 beers. Just dont try them all in one sitting.
2. Moore Liquor, 914 S.W. Fourth, Moore 3. Panchos Liquortown, 6801 N. Meridian Worth mentioning: Broadway Wine Merchants, Freemans Liquor Mart
Best (national or regional) restaurant You wish wasnt a chain PANERA BREAD COMPANY Several metro locations
With speedy Wi-Fi and tasty sandwiches and bagels, plus a bakery with sweets you can take to-go, its easy to understand why Gazette readers wish they could claim Panera as homegrown. It features a daily soup like lemon chicken orzo and bistro French onion and even caters.
2. Five Guys Burgers and Fries, several metro locations 3. BJs Restaurant and Brewhouse, several metro locations Worth mentioning: Chilis, Olive Garden, Whiskey Cake Kitchen & Bar
Best seafood restaurant THE SHACK SEAFOOD & OYSTER BAR 13801 Quail Pointe Drive
Step one: Go to The Shack. Step two: Order the oysters. A fire at its building at N.W. 62nd forced the restaurants relocation, but its still serving the same fresh, delicious seafood. Plus, after repairs are made, The Shack and its stellar menu will be available at two places. In the meantime, check out its scrumptious brunch.
2. Pearls Oyster Bar, several metro locations 3. Rococo Restaurant & Fine Wine, 2824 N. Pennsylvania; 12252 N. May Worth mentioning: Catfish Cove, Pearls Crabtown, Trappers Fishcamp and Grill
Best dessert menu LA BAGUETTE BAKERY & CAFE several metro locations
If you like cake, youll love La Baguette! Stop by and try a bombe au chocolat, Italian crème or one of the delicious cheesecakes. Or maybe live a little by skipping the cake this time and trying a French pastry or tart. Whatever your fancy, La Baguettes dessert case is full of top-notch tasty treats.
2. Pie Junkie, 1711 N.W. 16th 3. Cheevers Cafe, 2409 N. Hudson Worth mentioning: Nonnas Euro-American Ristorante & Bar, Sara Sara Cupcakes
Best restaurant to experience something different CAFE DO BRASIL 440 N.W. 11th
While the food definitely stands out as something not commonly found in OKC, the ambience is what makes this hotspot truly different. Check out Bossa Nova at The Top, Midtowns first rooftop bar. And dont forget the unique appetizers and traditional Brazillian cocktails!
2. The Mule, 1630 N. Blackwelder 3. Queen of Sheba, 2308 N. MacArthur Worth mentioning: Guernsey Park, Hillbilly Poboys & Oysters, Ludivine
Best Mexican restaurant TED'S CAFE ESCONDIDO several metro locations
We cant pass up a fresh-made, warm tortilla, and you shouldnt either. A longtime favorite for Tex-Mex connoisseurs, Teds plates up a variety of dishes to satisfy those Mexican-fare cravings. As if the food wasnt enough, its service is consistently first-rate.
2. Iguana Mexican Grill, 9 N.W. Ninth 3. Chelinos Mexican Restaurant, several metro locations Worth mentioning: Abels Mexican Restaurant, San Marcos Mexican Restaurant
Best Latin restaurant CAFE DO BRASIL 440 N.W. 11th Cafe do Brasil features food from all five regions of Brazil. Be adventurous and try Picanha Brasileir, a picanha steak served with rice and collard greens, or Feijoada, a Brazillian national dish. Or stop by on a weekend morning to enjoy its justifiably famous brunch.
2. 1492 New World Latin Cuisine, 1207 N. Walker 3. Inca Trail Peruvian Restaurant, 10928 N. May; 2106 S.W. 44th Worth mentioning: Cafe Kacao, Zarates Latin Mexican Grill
Best Italian restaurant ZIO'S ITALIAN KITCHEN several metro locations
Sure, Zios is a chain. But if ever there was a chain that captured the essence of Oklahoma, its this one. With stellar service, alluring ambience and a spicy chicken Alfredo thats approaching urban legend status, Zios is the fine dining experience (with Italian panache) youre looking for.
2. Flips Wine Bar & Trattoria, 5801 N. Western 3. Stella Modern Italian Cuisine, 1201 N. Walker Worth mentioning: Gabriellas Italian Grill & Pizzeria, Vitos Ristorante
Best Western European restaurant, not Italian (Danish, English, French, German, Irish, Scottish, Spanish, etc.) INGRID'S KITCHEN 3701 N. Youngs
Willkommen to a little taste of Germany right here in OKC. Bratwurst, knackwurst, schnitzel, all the sauerkraut you can handle for 35-plus years, Ingrids has been gut! And dont forget to check out the nuessecken and streusel for dessert!
2. Old Germany Restaurant, 15920 S.E. 29th, Choctaw 3. Sean Cummings Irish Pub, 7523 N. May Worth mentioning: Das Boot Camp Restaurant & Bar, Royal Bavaria Brewery
Best Mediterranean restaurant ZORBA'S MEDITERRANEAN CUISINE & BAR 6014 N. May
Hummus, anyone? For more than 20 years, Zorbas has been satisfying our chickpea cravings and so much more. Its loyalists come back again and again for among other items the mouthwatering gyros, baba ghanoouj and flavor-packed paella (available only on weekends). And that doesnt even include the belly dancing on weekends. Opa!
2. Mediterranean Imports & Deli, 5620 N. May 3. Couscous Cafe, 6165 N. May Worth mentioning: Capers Mediterranean Buffet & Bistro, Nunus Mediterranean Cafe & Market
Best Indian restaurant GOPURAM TASTE OF INDIA 4559 N.W. 23rd
This marks the second consecutive year that Gopuram Taste of India, around since 1994, has topped Gazettes Best of OKC vote for best Indian restaurant. Most of the masalas at this temple of turmeric can be sampled on the daily buffet, so deciding between entrees becomes a naan-issue.
2. Taj Cuisine of India, 1500 N.W. 23rd 3. Misal of India, 580 Ed Noble Parkway, Norman Worth mentioning: Ajanta Cuisine of India, Khazana Indian Grill & Buffet
Best Japanese restaurant MUSASHI'S JAPANESE STEAKHOUSE 4315 N. Western
Its the second consecutive year that Musashis Japanese Steakhouse has earned the top spot, so its safe to say the sushi and hibachi chefs must be doing something right. Its also a great place for celebrating birthdays or, well, life, and the fare is sure to please even the pickiest of eaters.
2. Shogun Steakhouse of Japan, 11900 N. May 3. Tokyo Japanese Restaurant, 7516 N. Western Worth mentioning: Saii Asian Bistro, Shiki Japanese Restaurant
Best Chinese restaurant DOT WO GARDEN several metro locations
With the plethora of choices for Chinese fare in OKC, how did Dot Wo Garden claim sweet and sour victory? Maybe its the famous pot stickers, a full sushi menu or the restaurants sleek interior with modern waterfalls and statement cherry blossom trees. Serving the metro since 1989, the restaurant offers private dining, lunch specials and online ordering and reservations.
2. Grand House China Bistro, 2701 N. Classen Blvd. 3. Golden Palace, 1500 S. Meridian; 1224 S. Air Depot, Midwest City Worth mentioning: Fungs Kitchen, Golden Phoenix
Best Thai restaurant THAI HOUSE II 500 N.W. 23rd
Catering to both vegetarians and carnivores, Thai House II is tops in Thai among Gazette readers. It features a nifty weekday lunch buffet and a wide range of options for dinner. The menu is reasonably priced and changes seasonally. Try the lemongrass-infused Thai tea or any of the noodle dishes to see why the restaurant is a favorite of Thai food fans.
2. Sala Thai, 1614 N.W. 23rd 3. Tana Thai Bistro, 10700 N May Worth mentioning: Padthai Thai Restaurant, Thai Kitchen OKC
Best Vietnamese restaurant LIDO RESTAURANT 2518 N. Military
From a Vietnamese kitchen, one might expect East Asian comforts like a vermicelli bowl, beef noodle soup, charbroiled shrimp or curry frog legs. But Lido also cooks up Chinese and even French cuisine as well.
2. Pho Thai Nguyen, 3221 N. Classen Blvd. 3. Guernsey Park, 2418 N. Guernsey Worth mentioning: Coriander Café, Pho Cuong Restaurant
Best Pho restaurant PHO LIEN HOA 901 N.W. 23rd
People of the metro dont mess around when it comes to their pho. And this year, the most boss of broths is bequeathed to Pho Lien Hoa. An Asian District staple since the 90s, Pho Lien Hoa serves up incredibly authentic and fresh pho. In case youre reading this with eyebrows raised, pho is a traditional Vietnamese beef noodle soup garnished with fresh mint, sprouts and basil.
2. PhoNomenal, 7504 N. May 3. Pho Cuong, 3016 N. Classen Blvd. Worth mentioning: Phoever, Pho Winner
Best new restaurant to open since 6/1/12 THE MULE 1630 N. Blackwelder
The Mule is wowing foodies with a winning combo of sandwiches and beer, catering to a variety of hungry folks, barbecue lovers and herbivores alike. With cheese sizzling on the skillet and hoppy froth flowing over the glass, the new kid in the Plaza District has wasted little time becoming a beloved stop for lunch or late night on weekends.
2. Packards New American Kitchen, 201 N.W. 10th 3. Pizza 23, 600 N.W. 23rd Worth mentioning: Cafe Icon Sushi & Grill, Guernsey Park
Best fine dining establishment CHEEVER'S CAFE 2409 N Hudson
Since 1997, Cheevers has been serving outstanding American cuisine with a southwest-inspired flavor. It has one of the best brunch menus around and features daily and nightly specials with a full-service bar. Part of the everreliable A Good Egg Dining Group, Cheevers has become a mainstay in our Best of OKC awards.
2. The Coach House, 6437 Avondale 3. Rococo Restaurant & Fine Wine, 2824 N. Pennsylvania; 12252 N. May Worth mentioning: Red PrimeSteak, Vast
Best restaurant HIDEAWAY PIZZA several metro locations
Its really no secret that Oklahomans love them some Hideaway Pizza. The Stillwater-based pizza palace, which got its start back when I Love Lucy was new, has soundly conquered OKC. You can find its masterpieces of cheese and sauce throughout the metro, with its eateries creating hearty, gluten-free meals. To do: Experience the fried mushrooms.
2. The Mule, 1630 N. Blackwelder 3. Ludivine, 805 N. Hudson Worth Mentioning: Cafe Icon Sushi & Grill, Packards New American Kitchen
Best neighborhood bar GRANDAD'S BAR 317 N.W. 23rd
Its where everybody knows your name! No, really; some of the regulars have their names listed on the backs of comfy chairs at the bar. You cant find a friendlier neighborhood bar in the metro. Stop by for whiskey or beer, pull up a chair, listen to some great live music, play a couple board games and make some new friends.
2. Louies Grill & Bar, several metro locations 3. James E. McNellies Public House, 1100 Classen Drive Worth Mentioning: The Mule, Saints Irish Pub
Best hotel bar RED PIANO LOUNGE 1 Park Ave.
Dont you just feel fancier when you sip a cocktail in a hotel bar? We know we do. So why not experience the class and sophistication that is Red Pianos bar in downtowns landmark Skirvin Hilton Hotel? It boasts a martini list that would make James Bond salivate.
2. Flint (Colcord Hotel), 15 N. Robinson 3. The Copa (Habana Inn), 2200 N.W. 39th Expressway Worth Mentioning: Raintree Lounge (Days Inn), Russells (Oklahoma City Marriott)
Best new bar to open since 6/1/12 GRANDAD'S BAR 317 N.W. 23rd
A lot of bars think pretty highly of themselves, but Grandads aspires to be nothing more than exactly what it is: a smoke-free whiskey bar/honky tonk with a neighborly, roots-minded mentality. Seemingly overnight, it has become one of the most popular destinations for patrons young and old, literally like your grandparents house ... but with a better beer selection and far fewer doillies.
2. The Mule, 1630 N. Blackwelder 3. Packards New American Kitchen, 201 N.W. 10th Worth Mentioning: Candy Nightclub, The Drum Room Photos by Shannon Cornman, Mark Hancock and Heather Brown