Best mechanoc: BECKS GARAGE
4217 N. Western Located along trendy Western Avenue, Becks Garage was ranked as the top wrench-turners by Gazette readers. Started by owner Jeff Beck in the early 90s, the garage later moved to its current location a few years ago. The garage revs its engine for hot rods and vintage cars, but also offers a full array of automotive services for both foreign and domestic vehicles.
2. Metric Motors, 2608 S. Broadway, Edmond
3. Fleet Auto & Transmissions, 701 S.W. 89th Worth mentioning: Cherokee Hills Automotive, Rick Jones Buick GMC
Best dentist: GRIFFIN SMILES
420 W. 15th, Edmond Brush up those pearly whites of yours and the kiddies, and head over (grinning all the way) to family-friendly Griffin Smiles. Dr. Shannon Griffin and her team have been all smiles since opening the practice in 1999 in Edmond, offering a range of services to anyone needing cosmetic or restorative dental work, or just a consultation.
2. Dr. Amy Croom Kuker, 3727 N.W. 63rd
3. Elite Smiles, Dr. Michelle Sanor, 5701 N. Western Worth mentioning: Crown Heights Dentistry, Dr. Randy Atkinson; Grand Dental Studio, Dr. Mike Kirk
Best yoga/Pilates/ fitness center: YMCA OF GREATER OKLAHOMA CITY
Several metro locations Who knew downward dog or mountain could be found at the YMCA of Greater Oklahoma City? From sailing to yoga, the Y is dedicated to building healthy lifestyles. Dont believe us? Head into any of the gyms and check out the wide range of equipment and exercise rooms. Multiple locations offer group workouts such as Body Pump, SilverSneakers, Chisel and boot camp.
2. 3rd Street Yoga Studio, 106 W. Third, Edmond
3. Spirit House Yoga, 5107 N. Shartel Worth mentioning: Cadence Yoga , M+Yoga
Best hair salon: VELVET MONKEY SALONS
Several metro locations Get some style up top in a place that is heavy on it thats obvious just by looking at the logo (thatd be a skull atop not crossbones, but open scissors). Velvet Monkey has three locations to get everything from a trim to feather extensions. Even better, the Plaza District location also has an on-site vintage boutique to get a wardrobe to go with that new do.
2. Duncan Bros. Salon, several metro locations
3. Eden Salon & Spa, several metro locations Worth mentioning: Salon Zen/Studio Zen , Trichology Salon Inc .
Best spa services: COTTONWOOD SALON SPA
35 E. 33rd, Edmond Picture this: A full day of indulgence that includes a facial, mani-pedi, massage and something called the Tahitian Body Shine (ooh, exotic). That and a bunch more are available at Cottonwood, your pick for pampering in the metro. And dont think that the full range of spa services are just for you, ladies. Cottonwood offers couples massages along with manicures and pedicures tailored for men.
2. Eden Salon & Spa, several metro locations
3. Renaissance Salon & Spa, 10440 Broadway Extension Worth mentioning: Salon Zen , Heavenly Hands Day Spa
Best place to have cosmetic procedures performed: BODYTRENDS THE ELECTRO SPA
9311 N. Penn and 13316 S. Western Miss USA first runner-up Morgan Woolard is one of the many names on BodyTrends client list. This premiere spa offers services that include body and facial re-design, and quick weight and inch loss. The most popular non-surgical procedure is Accent XL, a skin-tightening, cellulite-reduction and fat-melting procedure by AlmaLasers. With two metro locations, the spa even offers tattoo removal.
2. Rejuvena Cosmetic Medical Center, 6424 N. Western
3. Laser Light Skin Clinic, 6442 Avondale Drive Worth mentioning: Advanced Aesthetics , Dr. Juan A . Brou
Best tattoo shop: ATOMIC LOTUS TATTOO
409 N.W. 23rd Atomic Lotus offers a much-needed service to the tattoo connoisseurs of Oklahoma, and does so in a clean and safe manner. The founders of the esteemed 23rd Street Body Piercing started this shop, making it a trustworthy choice for your next tat. With artists from across the country, Atomic Lotus has its reputation for a reason.
2. No Regrets Tattoo, 1712 N.W. 16th
3. Think Ink Tattoos, 1430 W. Lindsey, Norman, Worth mentioning: Bloodline Elite Tattooing, Hudson Tattoo
Best pet care or supplies: PAWS AROUND TOWN
12100 N. May Paws Around Town inside Northpark Mall has everything a dog or cat could want, from birthday cakes and smoothies to Halloween costumes and bows. Established in 2001, the mission at Paws is to make the animals happy, not the humans. Built with your feline or pooch in mind, the store welcomes furry friends of all sizes. Paws prides itself on customer service of a different kind.
2. Neel Veterinary Hospital, 2700 N. MacArthur
3. A-1 Pet Emporium, 9417 N. May Worth mentioning: Manns Best Friend, Swaim Serum Company & Pet Wellness Clinic
Best place for continuing education: UNIVERSITY OF OKLAHOMA/ OU HEALTH SCIENCES CENTER
Lets face it: The University of Oklahoma-Norman campus is such a force that itd be impossible to leave it off any list. But with seven programs from which to choose, about 4,500 students and countless medical advances, the OU Health Sciences Center in OKC has become a force itself as one of the top health colleges in the country.
2. University of Central Oklahoma
3. Oklahoma State University/OSU-OKC Worth mentioning: Oklahoma City Community College, Francis Tuttle Technology Center
Best new business (that opened after May 1, 2010): PINKITZEL CUPCAKES & CANDY
1389 E. 15th, Edmond, and 150 S. E.K. Gaylord They had us at cupcakes and candy. And they seriously had us after we stepped inside, your pick for new business. From the chandeliers to the over-sized art, its a pink-and-black nouveau punk dreamland that looks good enough to eat but well stick to the cupcakes.
2. Switchblade Skate Co., 2132 Interstate 240 Service Road
3. Heirloom Shoe, 4415 N. Western Worth mentioning: Mobile Game Party, Daffodil Hill Salon & Spa
Photos by Shannon Cornman, Mark Hancock and Lindsey Cooper