Best place to find the perfect gift: BLUE SEVEN
7518 N. May What do you buy for the girl with everything? How about a leather coin purse shaped like a cat? We bet she doesnt have that. Whether its twee or sarcastic, a gag gift or just plain pretty, Blue Seven is your place to go for gifts. Look for beautifully painted ceramic, exotic-smelling candles and journals, along with everything in between.
2. On A Whim, 5850 N. Classen 3. Craigs Emporium, 3004 Paseo Worth mentioning: Collected Thread, DNA Galleries
Best fine jewelry: BC CLARK JEWELERS
Several metro locations After more than a century of making ladies look lovely and men look dapper, BC Clark remains your pick for all things that glitter. Its not just those engagement rings that have shoppers singing the jewelers praises, BC Clark also carries jewelry from top designers, some serious watches and fine gifts. (Weve got our fingers crossed for the crystal eagle paperweight.)
2. Samuel Gordon Jewelers, 5521 N. Penn 3. Mitchener-Farrand, 2844 W. Wilshire Worth mentioning: Naifeh Fine Jewelry, Lewis Jewelers
Best shoe store: METROSHOE WAREHOUSE
1806 24th NW in Norman and 2240 W. Memorial You know theres going to be a lot of choices when the warehouse is right in the name. Sneakers for the kiddos going back to school? Check. Heels for Mom? Check again. It even carries those crazy Vibram FiveFingers shoes that we still cant make up our mind about. And, if leaving the house for shoe-shopping is just too much, the store also does a lot of business online.
2. Shoe Gypsy, 6434 Avondale Drive 3. Shoetopia, 307 W. Boyd in Norman Worth mentioning: Balliets, Heirloom Shoe
Best fashion accessories: BLUE SEVEN
7518 N. May We love the floaty, fun scarves at Blue Seven, but thats far from the only accessory to be found in this cool shop. Girls will find purses and clutches, while guys can score hats and wallets. The unisex watches are a cant-miss, and you can spend a lot of time trying to find the perfect necklace amidst the great jewelry. Like we said, Blue Seven has their accessory game down.
2. On A Whim, 5850 N. Classen 3. Collected Thread, 1705-A N.W. 16th Worth mentioning: DNA Galleries, Lush Fashion Lounge
Best mens clothing: MR. OOLEY'S 1901 Northwest Expressway If you need to look your best, Mr. Ooleys is your pick. Down a side hall at Penn Square Mall, Mr. Ooleys has spent nearly a half-century dressing metro men. The well-appointed shop caters to the debonair among us, with high-quality suits, ties and shoes, along with custom and made-to-measure options for discerning gents.
2. Blue Seven, 7518 N. May 3. Warpaint Clothing, 1710 N.W. 16th Worth mentioning: Spencer Stone Company, Gils Clothing Company
Best womens clothing: BLUE SEVEN 7518 N. May This marks the third winning appearance by Blue Seven in this years contest. You voters must really love that place. And when it comes to womens clothing, its easy to see why. Itll be even easier when Blue Seven unveils its new womens boutique inside the store kind of like what they did with the cool jeans room. Until then, enjoy all the dresses, skirts, tops and even rompers you can.
2. On A Whim, 5850 N. Classen Blvd. 3. Balliets, 5801 N.W. Grand Worth mentioning: Gils Clothing Company, Warpaint Clothing
Best kids clothing: FUNKY MONKEY
14101 N. May Fashion runs wild, at the Funky Monkey, which outfits the kiddies in trend-setting duds. Among the stores collection is Juicy Couture stationery, MadPax and Beatrix backpacks, and clothing for infants through size 14.
2. Blue Seven, 7518 N. May 3. Ladybugs and Lizards Childrens Boutique, 1389 E. 15th in Edmond 3. Uptown Kids, 5840 N. Classen Worth mentioning: Green Bambino
Best vintage clothing or consignment store: DAISY EXCHANGE
2741 S. Service Road in Moore and 6926 Northwest Expressway Buy, sell and trade your way into a wardrobe to end all wardrobes at Daisy Exchange, a family-owned store with two metro locations. Seriously, why shell out big bucks for a designer label when you can dig up something equally awesome at this resale shop? It specializes in trendy, gently worn clothes, so you wont be stuck with someones 1994 pit-stained blouse.
2. Bad Grannys Bazaar, 1759 N.W. 16th 3. Bohemian Spirit Vintage, 913 W. Britton Worth mentioning: The Remarkable Shop, Anty Shanty
Best gourmet market or specialty grocer: CRESCENT MARKET
6409 Avondale Drive in Nichols Hills You voters stuck with the tried-and-true classic for your favorite gourmet market. Since 1889, Crescent Market has been rolling out the red carpet (literally the grocery store is carpeted) for hungry shoppers. And just because its got pedigree doesnt mean its not forward-thinking: Crescent Market now carries organic and gluten-free products.
2. Forward Foods, 123 E. Main in Norman and 5123 N. Western 3. Super Cao Nguyen, 2668 N. Military Worth mentioning: Mediterranean Imports & Deli, Native Roots Market
Best place to shop green: AKIN'S NATURAL FOODS MARKET
2924 N.W. 63rd and 2370 W. Memorial Your daily diet is inextricably linked to your environmental footprint, so the spate of foodie documentaries informs us. And Akins is your go-to choice for easing some eco-guilt, since it stocks options that jibe with a green lifestyle, like environmentally conscious brands, organic produce and local meat and dairy. 2. Forward Foods, 123 E. Main in Norman and 5123 N. Western 3. Native Roots Market, 132 W. Main in Norman Worth mentioning: Green Bambino, Shop Good
Best liquor store: BYRON'S LIQUOR WAREHOUSE
2322 N. Broadway With summer being the season for getting sauced (at least one of em), its important to know where you should go to stock your next party. Byrons gives you more options than anyone, and offers low prices that will keep you coming back. When its affordable booze you seek, theres really no other option.
2. Spirit Shop, 1117 Garver St. in Norman 3. Broadway Wine Merchants, 824 N. Broadway Worth mentioning: Sams Wholesale Priced Liquors, Panchos Liquortown
Best Florist: NEW LEAF FLORIST
2500 N. May and 9221 N. Penn Place From fresh to forever flowers, New Leaf Florist has you covered. With more than 152 years of combined service and nine designers on staff, leave it to them to create the event, floral arrangement, fruit or gift basket of your dreams. New Leaf Florist can create a beautiful piece for any occasion or just as a Monday pick-me-up. 2. Trochtas Flowers and Greenhouses, 6700 N. Broadway Extension 3. A Date with Iris, 4201 N. Western Worth mentioning: Tony Foss Flowers, Birdie
Best local bookstore: FULL CIRCLE BOOKSTORE
1900 Northwest Expressway Yes, some of us still read the kind of books that arent powered by batteries, and Full Circle Bookstore has been the citys go-to spot for more than 30 years. With more than 60,000 titles in stock, the shop also offers fresh coffee, a cafe and visits from authors both local and national.
2. Second Chance Books & Comics, 3909 N. MacArthur 3. Best of Books, 1313 E. Danforth in Edmond Worth mentioning: Aladdin Book Shoppe, Archives Books Inc.
Best sporting goods or bicycles: Als Bicycles
Several metro locations Some obscure little hipster shop this place aint. For more than 30 years, Als has been known for its reliable service and wide selection of merchandise. Theyre your one-stop bike shop, whether youre conquering mountaintops, competing in Ironman races, or just cruising down the street to pick up some milk.
2. Red Coyote Running and Fitness, 5800 N. Classen 3. Schlegel Bicycles, 900 N. Broadway Worth mentioning: 405 Bicycles, Buchanan Bicycles
Best furniture store: MATHIS BROTHERS FURNITURE
3434 W. Reno Mathis Brothers Furniture has been an Oklahoman staple since the late 1940s when Don and Bud Mathis helped at their parents furniture store in OKC. Shoppers are free to browse its sprawling selection from premium to popular value brands.
2. Suburban Contemporary Furnishings, 201 N. Portland 3. Galleria Furniture, 3700 W. Interstate 40 Service Road Worth mentioning: Bob Mills Furniture, Dane Design Contemporary Furniture
Best place to buy your next vehicle: BOB HOWARD AUTO GROUP
Several metro locations The bodacious Battle of the Bobs continues this year as Bob Howard Auto Group claims the top spot among voters. Multiple locations offer a selection among Acura, Buick, GMC, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Honda, Nissan, Toyota or Scion vehicles, plus a wide range of used vehicles. Bob Howard makes shopping easy, too, by making its inventory searchable online.
2. Bob Moore Auto Group, several metro locations 3. Jackie Cooper BMW, 14145 N. Broadway Extension in Edmond Worth mentioning: Fowler Volkswagen, Diffee Ford Lincoln
Photos by Shannon Cornman, Mark Hancock and Lindsey Cooper