Have you guys tried this new food? Its from trucks. Like, they drive around on wheels, but then they park and serve food. I wish there was a clever name for it. Meal vehicles? Eat vans? Well, if I was good at making good words be coming out of my brain, I wouldnt be not working for a newspaper!
by Greg Elwell,
photos by Mark Hancock, Garett Fisbeck and Keaton Draper
- Levi Schmidt, owner of Smokin' Greens food truck, opens a Mango Jarritos for a customer, recently at Bleu Gartin. mh
Hey, bud. Were really buzzed just thinking about getting some of that green ... salad from Smokin Greens, which is definitely not just a marijuana joke but also an actual food truck. Most of the food coming off trucks is delicious but not necessarily healthy. At Smokin Greens, you can have a fresh salad with chicken, steak, fish or Magic Mushroom.
- Peter O'Neal, Buttermilk Southern Sliders food truck manager, lines up their 4 sliders in the order window of the food truck. mh
Buttermilk Southern Sliders
Scientists have long known that one of the hardest words to say without smiling is biscuit. Look! You just cracked a grin thinking about it. And now theres Buttermilk Southern Sliders, making sweet and savory homestyle (not from a can) biscuit sandwiches you can eat with your smiling face.
- during H&8th, 7-31-15. mh
2 Brothers Bistro
With a rotating assortment of Italian favorites, 2 Brothers Bistro is no Gianni-come-lately. Former owners of Papas Little Italy, this trucks cooks know their way around a kitchen. Italian sandwiches are a specialty, but if youre lucky, youll catch them on a day theyre also making chili.
- Garett Fisbeck
- Lady Di's Travlin' Diner in Yukon, Tuesday, Aug. 4, 2015.
Lady Dis Travlin Diner
According to NBA rules, Lady Dis is not allowed to go more than two steps without dribbling the ball. But you can go ahead and blow the whistle because this travlin diner breaks all the rules with its Coney dogs and true diner burgers (and a liberal interpretation of the way traveling should be spelled).
- Garett Fisbeck
- Melissa Morgan poses for a photo at Katiebug's Shaved Ice in Edmond, Tuesday, July 28, 2015.
Katiebugs Shaved Ice and Hot Chocolate
Remember your first thin patch of ice at age 14? You were so proud, but now you know its time to shave it off. Is that how ice works? Nobody cares because were all busy thinking about Katiebugs natural syrups and delightful flavors, like basil lemonade and cinnamon roll with coconut cream. And when fall returns, it makes its own fancy marshmallows, too.
- Keaton Draper
- Discada tacos (meat lovers tacos) being served with a mandarin jarritos at Juan More Tacos food truck in Moore, Saturday, July 25, 2015.
Juan More Taco
It took years for someone to explain that you could eat street tacos anywhere. So many friends lost, trying to scarf down asada in the middle of a busy road. But no more. Now that Juan More Taco is popping up at The Bleu Garten, you might even get to eat your street taco while sitting in a seat. Goodbye, vehicular manslaughter; hello, flavor country.
- Keaton Draper
- Red Beans and Rice with "pernil" Pork(puerto rican style) and smoked sausage framed with mardi gras beads at La Gumbo Ya-Ya food truck in Oklahoma City, Saturday, July 25, 2015.
La Gumbo Ya Ya
While not technically created as a sequel to the 2002 film Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, La Gumbo Ya Ya does combine everything you love about Sandra Bullock with gumbo, etouffee and red beans and rice which is to say it has really delicious Cajun food and nothing to do with Bullock.