Former NBA player Desmond Mason will be among the 20 local artists at the fifth annual Refreshing the Palate. Sponsored by The Metro Wine Bar & Bistro, the event features 20 wines.
LaVeryl Lower, owner of The Metro, commissioned artists to create interpretations of the labels of the wines being served. The artwork is auctioned off during the wine tasting.
Mason will be joined by several well-known artists, including Suzanne Wallace Mears and Michelle Himes McCrory, as well as less-familiar names.
Established artists recommend emerging artists for this show, said Lower.
The artists get 80 percent of the auction price, and the Oklahoma Visual Arts Coalition receives the other 20 percent. The pieces were created in a variety of media, including glass sculpture, photography, prints, acrylics and oils.
Guests may sample all 20 wines from the holiday wine list, along with hors doeuvres. The restaurants by-theglass list is one of the best in the city, featuring well-known wines, as well as vintages new to Oklahoma. Neyers Del Barba Zinfandel is available in the state for the first time.
Tadeo Borchardt, winemaker
for Napas Neyers Vineyards, has distinguished himself by making
American wines with Old World sensibility and restraint. The Zinfandel
is balanced, not jammy, with notes of blackberry, raspberry and herbs.
Sinskey, an iconic California vintner, spent 25 years establishing a
quality brand known for certified organic and biodynamic winemaking. His
Abraxas is a blend of classic Alsatian grapes: Pinot Gris, Riesling,
Gewurztraminer and Pinot Blanc. The wine is bracing and crisp.
Its a way of combining wine and art.
Most important, it pairs with a wide range of foods, from pork to green vegetables.
winemaker Heidi Barrett, best known for Screaming Eagle, has her own
label called La Sirena. The Napa Valley Syrah is dense and chewy, with
remarkable depth and complexity.
list also includes familiar names like Titus Cabernet Franc, Merry
Edwards Pinot Noir, St. Supéry Virtu and Veraison Cabernet Sauvignon.